Well, here am I back in the miserable Le Walter Mondale Hall…grades freshly checked, 2nd draft of article behind me, and about three hours of sleep after spending most of yesterday stranded in the city of brotherly love. But it’s stupid sunny here and about to hit 40 so I can’t complain.
Since I’ve been so remiss in posting, I thought I’d start with a nice little recap of ’05…for myself and posterity and for those who may want the flanthrower update.
1) Was 2005 a good year for you?
Last year was certainly memorable. Part 1L and Part 2L. Certainly a year of transition as I complete the divorce b/t my current and former DC self and try to figure out what I really want to do with my life. I said a couple of goodbyes. Learned that I’ll never make money with my legal career (still getting used to the idea but am more comfortable with this notion that before). Got better at coping with disappointment without adopting my mother’s Buddhist/Pilgrim’s Progress mentality that life is all suffering.
2) What was your favorite moment of the year?
Can I only have one? Rolling into DC this summer after two days of serious driving. A very memorable pre July 4th text message from Jeff and the night I quit my job at Sequoias! (I was never meant to work in the service industry). Learning how much cats like yarn and catnip.
3) What was your least favorite moment of the year?
Anytime I have to check grades I get all weird and miserable. Suffering through a semester of Federal Income Taxation was probably a true low point in my life (especially now that I know I pretty much bombed the class). Getting a large pile of rejection letters from potential employers. (When it rains, it POURS!) And then there are always those difficult quarterly conversations with Mom. She’s my hero but we just don’t always see eye to eye. Passing out at the Broken Social Scene show?
4) Where were you when 2005 began?
At church with the parents for a New Years Eve service. Eating duk gook. Mmmmmm.
5) Who were you with?
6) Where will you be when 2005 ends?
I was in Baltimore celebrating with Jeff very clueless about the passage of time.
7) Who will you be with when 2005 ends?
(See above re: beau.)
8) Did you keep your new year’s resolution of 2005?
Probably not. I think (but can’t remember exactly) that those resolutions were largely accomplishment oriented and well, in the realm of tangible things (i.e. do better in law school, get a damn job), I didn’t fare too well. On the upside, I did squeeze in a bit more knitting than during my 1L…Jeff is now enjoying the fruits of my labor…let’s just hope the boyfriend sweater curse doesn’t kick in anytime soon.
9) Do you have a new year’s resolution for 2006?
Stop making excuses. (It was a timely and uber profound suggestion from the beau).
10) Did you fall in love in 2005?
Eh. Being something of a committment-phobe, I hesitate to use the “L” word. Nonetheless, I’m super psyched about reconnecting with Jeff and hope that someday I’ll get to use the “L” word on him. (I speak of it as if it’s a weapon! It’s not.) Suffice to say for now that Jeff makes me very happy and he’s by far and away the bestest boyfriend I’ve ever had!
11) If yes, with who?
12) If yes, do they know?
13) Are you still in love with them?
14) Do you regret it?
Nope. It was certainly the best text message I ever checked.
15) Did you break up with anyone in 2005?
Not exactly but I did close out a longstanding, quasi-romantic chapter of my life.
16) Did you make any new friends in 2005?
17) Who are your favorite new friends?
Hey, I didn’t say any of those new friends were good. 😉 j/k…I think more than friends, I gained a new set of mentors this year. People who are insanely good at what they do and do good for others. (Old role models were more along the lines of people insanely good at what they do + insanely good at making money).
18) What was your favorite month of 2005?
November. Awesome birthday celebration + big Thanksgiving feast. (Kinda balances out the misery of a corporations final AND my blasted law review article).
19) Did you travel outside of the US in 2005?
Nope…been on a serious international travel drought since my crazy world tour 2000-2002.
20) How many different states did you travel to in 2005?
Six? Seven? Eight? I lose track everytime I do the insane subaru haul to DC.
21) Did you lose anybody close to you in 2005?
Yes, but he didn’t die. See 15.
22) Did you miss anybody in the past year?
23) What was your favorite movie that you saw in 2005?
Any movie I got to see was pretty awesome….we law students don’t get out much.
24) What was your favorite song from 2005?
25) What was your favorite record from 2005?
26) How many concerts did you see in 2005?
Ten? Twelve? I can’t remember exactly.
27) Did you have a favorite concert in 2005?
Sigur Ros at the State Theater. By far and away the best show I’ve seen ever. At the risk of sounding cliche, it was almost a religious experience.
28) Did you drink a lot of alcohol in 2005?
No. I’ve almost given up on alcohol. Not that I ever drank much, but I will still indulge in the occasional glass of wine or shot of bourbon. (Hey, I gotta live a little).
29) Did you do a lot of drugs in 2005?
Who needs to do drugs when you can see Sigur Ros live? But seriously, I made an unusual # of trips to the doctor this year, so in that sense, I was a pretty sick gal on a lot prescription meds.
30) Did you do anything you are ashamed of this year?
Coming back to law school?
31) What was the worst lie someone told you in 2005?
I don’t think I did too much lying in 2005…may explain why I still don’t have a summer job. ;-P
32) Did you treat somebody badly in 2005?
Yeah, but he deserved it. 😉
33) Did somebody treat you badly in 2005?
My professors–see my transcript for proof. 😉
34) How much money did you spend in 2005?
It’s all borrowed so I can’t even think about the answer to this without shuddering.
35) What was your proudest moment of 2005?
At the risk of sounding like a total dork/asshole, it was making Law Review. The announcement came when I was very much in need of validation.
36) What was your most embarrassing moment of 2005?
2004-05 have just generally been very humbling. I won’t bore you with the details.
37) If you could go back in time to any moment of 2005 and change something, what would it be?
Coming back to law school. I’m a glutton for punishment. 😉
38) What are your resolutions for 2006?