I hope y’all had a good New Years. Mine was pretty boring, leading me to believe that it is quite possibly one of the most overrated holidays of the year. Still, I did enjoy all the days off from work, even if they were not as relaxing and as productive as I’d hoped they’d be. I’d hoped to come back here with a finished quilt but the best I could do is finish the quilt back and sew the second half of the quilt top upside down. Note to self: never ever ever quilt when you are tired, angry, or really sad….bad things will happen, much seam ripping (and accompanying hair pulling) will ensue.
My weekend was largely consumed by LOTS of couch time (I’m in love with Anthony Bourdain and his show No Reservations), excessive consumerism (via another trip out to the ‘burbs with Carolyn), errands, and brooding. I’m normally super cynical about making New Years resolutions (even more so about keeping them), but 2008 was such an unfocused, bang-up year, I figured some goals might be in order. If nothing else, it will be fun to revisit this post a year from now to see how much I accomplished. So here’s what I want to be do in ’09:
- Be happier. (I don’t know why, because I read this post a LONG time ago, but lately I can’t get this statement out of my head: “we need to feel happy whenever we can, because you don’t know what’s going to happen.” Ain’t that the truth people?)
- Pass the bar exam.
- Get my finances in some semblance of order.
- Take a class at the Art Institute. (I have no excuse…it’s right by my office.)
- Make four quilts. I figure this sets a reasonable pace…roughly one quilt per quarter. One for me, one for my mum, one for my sis (who is graduating from high school this June!), and one as a WAY belated wedding gift.
- Run a marathon.
- Be healthier, especially when it comes to the choices I make about food.
- Settle into my job. (So far I like it.)
- Like Chicago. (So far I hate it.)
- Feel more certain about myself/learn to trust my instincts again.
And that’s pretty much it….I don’t think this is an unreasonable list and I hope I can come back in a year and check a few of these off. A lot of the goals are related…and speaking of one of the goals. My dreaded bar prep classes start tonight. I talked myself through a lot of pent-up anxiety and rage this weekend in anticipation of this day. I’ve told myself all the usual things: “you’ve already passed one exam,” “this should feel familiar,” “this is nothing new.” But none of those things have really comforted me. I’m not gonna lie…I’m more than a little bit nervous. I just hope that the next two months go by quickly, really quickly. So this is just a heads up that I may not be posting much in the next two months, but try not to forget about me, ok? I promise I’ll be a much happier, more relaxed person when I can put this test silly business behind me.